American Immigration Lawyers Association
AILA - South Florida Chapter
Lousiana State Bar Association

Work Authorization

Miami Lawyers for Work Authorization

United States employers need to ensure that all their employees are permitted to work in the country. If you’re not a citizen or lawful permanent resident, you might need to prove you can work in the country by presenting a work authorization. If you are a foreign national who is unsure of whether you need work authorization, you should discuss your situation with our dedicated Miami immigration law attorney Lupe Lafont. Ms. Lafont is a Venezuelan attorney who provides tenacious and careful legal representation to immigrants hoping to work in America.

Work Authorization

Many people wish to work in the United States and immigrate specifically to do so. Citizens, of course, don’t need work authorization. You also won’t need work authorization if you already have a green card; the green card is sufficient authorization to work in the country. Likewise, you won’t need to apply for work authorization if you have certain nonimmigrant visas that allow you to work for particular employers.

However, in many other situations, people from other countries must seek work or employment authorization. Foreign nationals must get permission from the federal government to lawfully participate in the economy. Categories of people who may need authorization include asylum seekers, students trying to get employment, job applicants trying to adjust to lawful permanent resident status, and those trying to get temporary protected status. If you’re a foreign national and belong to these categories, it is helpful to retain an experienced lawyer to make sure all appropriate procedures are followed to obtain work authorization.

Employment Authorization Documents

Our Miami lawyer serves those foreign nationals seeking work authorization through the immigration system. Work authorization is also known as an employment authorization document (EAD). It shows you’re permitted to work in the United States. USCIS issues different kinds of Employment Authorization Documents (EADs). These include initial EAD, renewal EAD, and replacement EAD. The initial EAD establishes your entitlement to work in the country. The renewal EAD renews the first EAD. We would not be able to file for a renewal EAD more than 180 days prior to expiration of your original EAD. Your replacement EAD replaces a stolen, lost, or mutilated EAD. Our lawyer can also get this type of EAD to replace an EAD issued with improper information.

Filing an Application

If you meet one of the categories that requires employment authorization, it’s important to hire an experienced Miami immigration lawyer to make sure this process goes smoothly. The first step is to file an application with USCIS using Form I-765. We can file the application online or by mail. It is critical, in either situation, to send supporting documents regarding the basis for your eligibility.

It may be difficult for you to figure out your own eligibility category and determine what documentation would adequately support your application and eligibility. Generally, you won’t need to submit proof of eligibility for temporary protected status or adjustment of status, but these are also procedures for which it is in your best interest to retain legal representation to make sure the appropriate steps are followed. Providing proper documentation can prove challenging for an immigrant because work authorization is only available to specific groups. For instance, if you are in the process of applying for a green card or possess the temporary right to be in the country you may seek work authorization.

After USCIS receives your Form I-765, you’ll get a receipt notice confirming receipt of the application, biometric services notice, notice to appear for an interview and notice of its decision.

Hire a Miami Firm Handling Work Authorization and Other Immigration Matters

Getting work authorization may be very important to you and your family’s well-being. However, as an immigrant, you may be uncertain whether you need to apply for it. You should call us. Lupe Lafont is a tenacious advocate for immigrants seeking work authorization. She provides clients with high degree of personalized service and compassion. Contact Ms. Lafont via her online form or at (305) 439-0604.

Client Reviews

During Covid time, my parent's boarding foil expired, leaving them and me in limbo, but I contacted the attorney Lupe Lafont, who handled my case with expertise and diligence. As a result, my parent's boarding foil was successfully reissued, and my family has finally reunited again.

Aracelis L.

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Hablamos Español
  2. 2 Call Us Now
  3. 3 Dedicated & Compassionate Immigration Attorney

Fill out the contact form or call us at (305) 439-0604 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message