American Immigration Lawyers Association
AILA - South Florida Chapter
Lousiana State Bar Association

F-1 Student Visas

Miami Lawyers for F-1 Student Visas

For many people from other countries, studying in the United States is a dream or opportunity for advancement. A degree from an American university is prestigious and may help secure employment in other parts of the world. An F-1 visa is a nonimmigrant student visa that allows international students to come into the country and study at schools that have been certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). If you need to obtain an F-1 visa, you should retain knowledgeable Miami immigration law attorney Lupe Lafont to represent you. She provides personalized legal service to those hoping for the educational opportunities America provides.

F-1 Student Visas

You must first get a visa if you’re a citizen of a foreign country that wishes to come into the country. This visa can be a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You’ll need to possess a student visa to study in the country. For example, if you were accepted to the engineering department of a university as an undergraduate, you would need to obtain an F-1 visa to undertake those studies.

For example, our knowledgeable immigration lawyer may be able to pursue an F-1 visa if you are attending one of the following in Miami or surrounding areas:

  • University
  • Conservatory
  • High school
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution besides a language training program
  • A different academic institution.

F-1 student visas are necessary if you want to study at a United States academic institution as an adult. Unless a specific exception applies, you’ll need to go through an interview process. An F-1 visa can’t be issued to go to a public elementary school or publicly funded adult education program such as a foreign language class. It can be issued to those attending grades 9-12 in America, but a student in that age range or grade level will be restricted to up to 12 months of high school in the country on F-1 status. As a student of this type, you’ll need to show you made payment for full, unsubsidized cost of your education at the time you apply for a visa.

What you study and the kind of school you intend to attend will determine whether you need an F, M-1, or B-visa.

Other Visas Our Tenacious Immigration Lawyer May Be Able to Seek in Coral Gables

With a B-visa, you may be able to enroll in a short recreational course of study that doesn’t lead to an academic certificate or degree. You won’t be able to attend an academic institution if you come in on a visitor B visa or through the visa waiver program, except to go through recreational study that fits within your tourist visa. However, if you’ve been accepted to a vocational or other nonacademic program besides language training. it may be appropriate for you to apply for an M-1 visa. Your application must be supported by evidence that you’re able to pay for all tuition and living costs during your stay.

SEVP-Approved Schools

In order to get an F-1 visa, you’ll need to apply to a school that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. If your application is accepted and you are permitted to enroll, you’ll be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The school will issue you a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. Receipt of this form requires you to apply at a United States embassy or consulate for an F-1 visa. You’ll need to provide the Form I-20 to the consular officer when you go to your visa interview.

Consult an Experienced Lawyer for Your F-1 Student Visa

The United States offers many different educational opportunities. However, to take advantage of these opportunities as a foreign national, you’ll need to obtain the proper visa. If you need an F-1 visa or are unsure about what type of visa would be appropriate given the school into which you were accepted, you should seek legal counsel. Lupe Lafont is a Miami immigration law attorney who is dedicated to helping those from other countries who wish to study in the United States and who have been accepted by an appropriate educational institution. Please contact Ms. Lafont via her online form or at (305) 439-0604.

Client Reviews

During Covid time, my parent's boarding foil expired, leaving them and me in limbo, but I contacted the attorney Lupe Lafont, who handled my case with expertise and diligence. As a result, my parent's boarding foil was successfully reissued, and my family has finally reunited again.

Aracelis L.

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Hablamos Español
  2. 2 Call Us Now
  3. 3 Dedicated & Compassionate Immigration Attorney

Fill out the contact form or call us at (305) 439-0604 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message